Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Beyond the surface

Now that I've thought about it, I've probably come off as incredibly shallow in two posts ago. It sounds like all I care about is how I look in photos. But that's not the whole story. Do I think that looks matter? Of course. That's partly why the public has a hard time respecting fat policemen. The same way fat politicians are assumed to be corrupt. If you're overweight, people assume you're lazy, that all you do is eat and stare at the television all day. And that's just not me. At least not anymore.

While I do resent this double standard against overweight people, the way I resent all double standards, it can't be helped. I can't change the way people look at fat people, but I can change myself. And that's exactly what I want to do. Not simply because society demands it, but also because I know that this would make me a better person.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your views regarding fat policemen and fat politicians. They brought it upon themselves to be judged by people because their responsibilities are reflected upon their physical attributes.

    And yeah, ultimately it's all about being fit, not looking good primarily. To look good because you're should be seen as a nice bonus to being healthy. Be careful about trying to be too healthy, though--you don't want to be a Company Whore™

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice conclusion jeff :) i think people are just so caught up with how others perceive them na nakakalimutan nila how we feel about ourselves. although the way media sells skinny can be helped, there are still a significant number of companies/people who endorse otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oprah had this phase. Look where she is now.

    ReplyDelete