Monday, February 16, 2009

On writing based on reading

Like I've said before in the previous entry, I'm not a big reader. Of course, I think I read more than the average college student, but nowhere near how much I should be reading as a writer, moreso as an editor. I've heard it quite a few times already: your writing can only be good as what you're reading. Or something like that. Whichever the case, it simply means that the quality of your writing depends on the quality of what you're reading. And I agree with that. And comparing what I've written before, even as late as my first year in college, to what I've written recently, I've gone really far (see my Multiply page to see how bad my writing was). I didn't even notice it, how trickles of the authors I've read have somehow found themselves on the pages with my name in the byline. Hence, being unconscious of it, I wasn't able to give them due credit. I don't remember who gave me an idea of what good writing is. And that's such a travesty. I myself am a sucker for credit; I make sure my name is attached to everything I do. Yet here I am, scrambling in the dark recesses of my mind, looking for the names of those who have taught me how to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment